Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also merry
Proper noun 
- A surname. Originally a nickname for a merry person.
- A female given name from the adjective, also a diminutive of Mary and Mercy.
- A male given name, a diminutive of Meredith.
- 1844 Charles Dickens, Martin Chuzzlewit, Chapter 2:
- 'Is he handsome, Pa?' inquired the younger daughter.
- 'Silly Merry!' said the eldest: Merry being fond for Mercy. 'What is the premium, Pa? tell us that.'
- 1964 Brigid Brophy, The Waste Disposal Unit, Best Short Plays of the World Theatre 1958-1967, page 50:
- It was on account of she had such a happy temperament I persuaded Mr. van der Most to let me call her Merry. Lots of folks, when they first meet her, they think she's called Mary - Maria, as you would say it, Signor Lumaca - but no, her name is really Merry, M-E-double-R-Y, because, I always tell them, she is.