Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
15th century. Unaccented variant of master.
- enPR: mĭsʹ-tər, IPA(key): /ˈmɪstər/
- (UK) IPA(key): [ˈmɪstə(ɹ)]
- (US) IPA(key): [ˈmɪstɚ]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪstə(r)
- Homophones: Mr., mister
Mister (plural Misters)
- General title or respect of an adult male.
- This is Mister Smith, assistant to the President.
- Official title of a military man, usually anyone below rank of captain.
- Official form of address of a president of a nation; Mister President.
- A warrant officer or cadet in the United States Military Academy at West Point.
- An informal title used before a nickname or other moniker:
- Mister Suave; Mister Baseball