We should probably have entries for all of these common abbreviations used by TDDs (not sure if many ppl actually still use the devices tho.. ).. This is a temporary working list.. it can be deleted after the entries are created..
There are some etiquette rules that users of TDDs must be aware of. Because of the inability to detect when a person has finished speaking, the term "Go Ahead" (GA) is used.
Commonly used abbreviations:
- BRB Be Right Back
- CA Communications assistant (another term for a relay operator)
- CU See You (be seeing you)
- GA Go Ahead
- SK Stop Keying
- SKSK Now hanging up
- Q, QQ, QM Question Mark (?)
- PLS Please
- RO Relay Operator
- OIC Oh, I See
- OPR Operator
- NBR Number
- TMW Tomorrow
- THX Thanks
- WRU Who are You? (or Where are You?)
- XXXX Xs are often used to indicate a typing error instead of backspacing
- Caller A: HELLO JOHN, WHAT TIME WILL YOU BE COMING AROUND TODAY Q GA
- Caller B: HI FRED, I WILL BE AROUND NOON GA
- Caller A: OK, NO PROBLEM, DON'T FORGET TO BRING THE BOOKS AND THE WORK SO FAR GA
- Caller B: WILL DO SK
- Caller A: BYE BYE SKSK
SK is used to allow the users to say their farewells, while SKSK indicates an immediate call hang-up.
Note: TDDs use only capital letters.