Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
abortion (plural abortions)
- (medicine or dated) The cessation of pregnancy or fetal development: [First attested in the mid 16th century.]
- (dated) The immature product of an untimely birth. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- A monstrosity; a misshapen person. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- (figuratively) Failure of a promise or a goal. [First attested in the early 18th century.]
- (biology) Arrest of development of any organ, so that it remains an imperfect formation or is absorbed. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- Any fruit or produce which is interrupted in its progress before it is matured or perfect; an idea, project, or anything that does not come to maturity.
- (chiefly art) Something ugly, an artistic atrocity.
- The cessation of an illness or disease at a very early stage.
- An unpleasant or poorly executed idea or project.
- 1999, "foo...@my-deja.com", Menace is AN ABORTION OF A MOVIE (on newsgroup alt.fan.starwars)
- 2000, "Jules", please dont buy beacon cd (on newsgroup alt.fan.allman-brothers)
- Dickey on his own manages to turn a simple bo diddley 1-2-3-4 into an absolute abortion of a song.
- 2003, David Kerekes, Headpress 24: Powered by Love (page 133)
- an absolute abortion of a book
Terms derived from abortion
act of inducing abortion
immature product of an untimely birth
biology: arrest of development of an organ
fruit/produce that doesn't come to maturity
the act of aborting a project, etc
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked