Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA(key): /əbˈzɔː.bɪŋ/, /əbˈsɔː.bɪŋ/
- (US) IPA(key): /æbˈzɔr.bɪŋ/, /æbˈsɔɹ.bɪŋ/, /əbˈzɔr.bɪŋ/, /əbˈsɔɹ.bɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)bɪŋ
- Engrossing, that sustains someone's interest. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- An absorbing pursuit.
- 2011 October 29, Neil Johnston, “Norwich 3 - 3 Blackburn”, BBC Sport:
- It was a dramatic finish to an absorbing, fast-paced game but Blackburn will be deeply unhappy with referee Anthony Taylor as Nzonzi's handball was harsh.
- (statistics, of a state) Allowing a process to enter it, but not to leave it.
math: of a state
- Present participle of absorb.