Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
agnate (plural agnates)
- A relative whose relation is traced only through male members of the family.
- A great grandfather is an agnate if he is your father’s father’s father.
2013, John Middleton, E. H. Winter, Witchcraft and Sorcery in East Africa, page 203:
- Men accuse agnates of their own generation of bewitching them.
- Any paternal male relative.
- Related to someone by male connections or on the paternal side of the family.
- allied; akin
- (linguistics) Having a similar semantic meaning.
2013, Thomas Bloor, Meriel Bloor, The Functional Analysis of English:
- [...] we can talk about a swim, a drink, a look, even though swim, drink and look can also show up as verbs in agnate clauses.