Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (nautical) Beyond the head (of a ship). This may have drifted into more general English usage where it is used to describe something as being 'in front of'.
ahead (not comparable)
- In or to the front; in advance; onward.
- The island bore but a little ahead of us. --Fielding.
- Having progressed more.
- He is far ahead of his class in math.
- In the direction one is facing or moving.
- Just ahead you can see the cliffs.
- in the future, preceding
2012 August 21, Pilkington, Ed, “Death penalty on trial: should Reggie Clemons live or die?”, The Guardian:
- The Reggie Clemons case has been a cause of legal dispute for the past two decades. Prosecutors alleged that he and his co-defendants brutally cut short the lives of Julie and Robin Kerry, sisters who had just started college and had their whole adult lives ahead of them.
in or to the front