Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Originated as a meme on the /b/ board of the 4chan community. It was inspired by a grammatical error in a poem that the classmate of a teenager who committed suicide in 2006 wrote and posted to a MySpace memorial page.
- (Internet, slang) To commit suicide.
2009 9 May, henri, “Re: NOMINATION - Bill Jillians/"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" For KotM & CotM .. (was) Re: hey guys ... anyone want in on a flame war I'm starting between 2 groups”, alt.suicide.holiday, Usenet:
- So an hero already.
- 2012, Parmy Olson, We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency, Little, Brown and Company (2012), ISBN 9780316213530, unnumbered page:
- It soon became a trend on 4chan to describe someone as “an hero”—before it morphed into the verb form: “I'm going to an hero.”
- 2013, Trevor James Zaple, Disappearance, Lulu (2013), ISBN 9781300749301, Chapter 1:
- So I’m going to an hero on webcam he continued typing and I’ll post the link to the stream in a second.
- (Internet, slang) One who commits suicide.
2007 10 August, the_boy_blunder [username], “Fiddildy Fucking Dee, it's enough to make you not want to kill yourself”, alt.suicide.holiday, Usenet:
- In the clip, Dave Mustaine (our hero of the story, yet not yet "an hero") is shown recording "Through the Darkest Hour" a song about wanting to kill yourself because your bird left you.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see the citations page.