Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (botany) A tree of the orange family (Citrus bergamia), having a roundish or pear-shaped fruit, from the rind of which an essential oil of delicious odor is extracted, much prized as a perfume. Also, the fruit.
- The essence or perfume made from the fruit.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Johnson to this entry?)
- A variety of snuff perfumed with bergamot.
- (botany) Either of two plants of the mint family noted for their bergamot-like scent:
- A variety of pear.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- A coarse tapestry, manufactured from flock of cotton or hemp, mixed with ox's or goat's hair.