Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
bombard (plural bombards)
- a medieval primitive cannon, used chiefly in sieges for throwing heavy stone balls.
- They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses.
- (obsolete) a bassoon-like medieval instrument
- (obsolete) a large liquor container made of leather, in the form of a jug or a bottle.
- (poetic, rare) A bombardment.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of J. Barlow to this entry?)
- (music) A bombardon.
medieval primitive cannon
- To attack something with bombs, artillery shells or other missiles or projectiles.
- (figuratively) To attack something or someone by directing objects at them.
- (physics) To direct at a substance an intense stream of high-energy particles, usually sub-atomic or made of at most a few atoms.
to attack something with bombs, artillery shells, or other missiles
to attack something or someone by directing objects at them
to direct at a substance an intense stream of high-energy particles, usually sub-atomic or made of at most a few atoms
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked