Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Impulsive and unpredictable; determined by chance, impulse, or whim
- I almost died in a capricious winter storm.
- Stringent rulers are unlikely to act capriciously.
- The Mayor claimed that the action was reasonable, but in reality the action was arbitrary and capricious in nature.
1877, Henry James, The American:
- "Capricious?" And at this monsieur began to laugh. "Oh no, I'm not capricious. I am very faithful. I am very constant. Comprenez?"
- Capricious can describe both a person and the decisions they make.
Impulsive and unpredictable; determined by chance, impulse, or whim