Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
cartwheel (plural cartwheels)
- The literal wheel of a cart.
- A gymnastic maneuver whereby the gymnast rotates to one side or the other while keeping arms and legs outstretched, spinning for one or more revolutions.
- (UK, historical, obsolete slang) A crown coin; its value, 5 shillings.
- 1859, J.C. Hotten, A Dictionary of Modern Slang, Cant, and Vulgar Words
- (US, historical, obsolete slang) A silver dollar of the larger size produced before 1979.
The literal wheel of a cart
A gymnastic maneuver
- To perform the gymnastics feat of a cartwheel.
- To flip end over end: normally said of a crashing vehicle or aircraft.
- The race car hit a bump and cartwheeled over the finish line.