Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Acceptance of a belief or claim as true, especially on the basis of evidence.
- Based on the scientific data, I give credence to this hypothesis.
- (rare) Credential or supporting material for a person or claim.
- He presented us with a letter of credence.
- (religion) A small table or credenza used in certain Christian religious services.
- A cupboard, sideboard, or cabinet, particularly one intended for the display of rich vessels or plate on open shelves.
acceptance of a belief or claim
credential or supporting material for a person or claim
small table or credenza used in certain Christian religious services
- “credence” in An American Dictionary of the English Language, by Noah Webster, 1828.
- credence in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “credence” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.