Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: défendant
- defendaunt (obsolete)
defendant (plural defendants)
- (law) In civil proceedings, the party responding to the complaint; one who is sued and called upon to make satisfaction for a wrong complained of by another.
- (law) In criminal proceedings, the accused.
person prosecuted or sued
- Serving, or suitable, for defense; defensive.
- With men of courage and with means defendant.
- third-person plural present active subjunctive of dēfendō