Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (uncountable) Inadequacy or incompleteness.
- (countable) An insufficiency, especially of something essential to health.
2013 August 31, “Promotion and self-promotion”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8851:
- One of academia’s deficiencies is that, though its lecture halls and graduate schools are replete with women, its higher echelons are not. Often, this is seen as a phenomenon specific to the sciences. … In fact, the disparity applies to the whole grove. Another report from 2006, by the American Association of University Professors, found the same ratio in the faculties of arts, humanities and social science, too.
- (geometry) The amount by which the number of double points on a curve is short of the maximum for curves of the same degree.
inadequacy or incompleteness
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.