Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Latin descriptio.
description (plural descriptions)
- A sketch or account of anything in words; a portraiture or representation in language; an enumeration of the essential qualities of a thing or species.
- The act of describing; a delineation by marks or signs.
- A set of characteristics by which someone or something can be recognized.
- (biology) A scientific documentation of a specimen intended to reveal a new species by technically explaining its characteristics and particularly how it differs from other species.
- The type description of the fungus was written by a botanist.
account in words
See also 
Related terms 
- description in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- description in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911