Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A confrontation or argument between two people or groups
- It's unclear which side will win the latest face-off between the President and Congress.
- 2012 May 31, Tasha Robinson, “Film: Review: Snow White And The Huntsman”:
- Huntsman starts out with a vision of Theron that’s specific, unique, and weighted in character, but it trends throughout toward generic fantasy tropes and black-and-white morality, and climaxes in a thoroughly familiar face-off.
- (ice hockey) The start of play, when two players try to get control of the puck dropped by the referee