fatuous + -ly
- (RP) IPA: /ˈfæt.ju.əs.li/
- (US) IPA: /ˈfætʃ.u.əs.li/
fatuously (comparative more fatuously, superlative most fatuously)
- With smug stupidity or vacuous silliness; idiotically.
- 1835, Michael Ryan (ed.), "Reform in the College of Physicians", London Medical and Surgical Journal, Vol. VII, G. Henderson, page 153,
- Will they, like the fellows, judiciously bear a hand in sweeping the stable, or will they fatuously wait to be themselves swept with a besom of destruction?
Related terms