Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Hyphenation: gor‧gon
gorgon (plural gorgons)
- (Greek mythology) A vicious female monster from Greek mythology with sharp fangs and hair of living, venomous snakes.
- An intimidating, ugly, or disgusting woman; anything hideous or horrid.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Milton to this entry?)
- "Swilling martinis and spewing venom, Phyllis is a particularly unappetizing gorgon, telling us at one point that an acquaintance of hers is aroused by the Heimlich maneuver." — Washington Post, July 1, 2005
monster in Greek mythology
intimidating, ugly or disgusting woman
- Chambers's Etymological Dictionary, 1896, p. 208