Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈmɜː(ɹ).sən.ə.ɹi/, /ˈmɜː(ɹ)ˌsn̩.ɹi/
- (US) enPR: mûrʹsə-nĕr'ē, IPA(key): /ˈmɜːrsəˌnɛri/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Motivated by private gain.
- For God forbid I should my papers blot / With mercenary lines, with servile pen.
motivated by private gain
mercenary (plural mercenaries)
- A person employed to fight in an armed conflict who is not a member of the state or military group for which they are fighting and whose prime or sole motivation is private gain.
person employed to fight