Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- mesmerise (UK)
- To exercise mesmerism on; to spellbind; to enthrall.
1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 4, Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- Then he commenced to talk, really talk. and inside of two flaps of a herring's fin he had me mesmerized, like Eben Holt's boy at the town hall show. He talked about the ills of humanity, and the glories of health and Nature and service and land knows what all.
- She mesmerized the audience with her tricks
to exercise mesmerism on
- mesmerize in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- mesmerize in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911