Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Effectual or important.
- He's usually in a good mood — the operative word there being "usually". Today was a disaster.
- Functional, in working order.
- Having the power of acting; hence, exerting force, physical or moral; active in the production of effects.
- an operative motive
- It holds in all operative principles.
- Producing the appropriate or designed effect; efficacious.
- an operative dose, rule, or penalty
- Based upon, or consisting of, a surgical operation or operations.
- operative surgery
based upon a surgical operation
operative (plural operatives)
- An employee or other worker with some particular function or skill.
- A spy, secret agent, or detective.
- A participant of an operation.
participant of an operation
- inflected form of
- feminine plural of
- absolute definite natural masculine form of operativ.