Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) to fraudulently portray another person; to impersonate
- (transitive) to portray a character (as in a play); to act
- (transitive) to attribute personal characteristics to something; to personify
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (transitive) To set forth in an unreal character; to disguise; to mask.
- a personated mate
- (botany) Having the throat of a bilabiate corolla nearly closed by a projection of the base of the lower lip; masked, as in the flower of the snapdragon.
- (obsolete, transitive) To celebrate loudly; to extol; to praise.
- In fable, hymn, or song so personating / Their gods ridiculous.