Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪzə(r)
phaser (plural phasers)
- (music) An electronic device that produces special effects on the sound produced by an electric guitar etc.
- (science fiction) Fictional energy weapon, with multiple settings for degree of intensity, from the television series Star Trek (1966–69).
1995 July, THIS magazine, page 21:
- His oddly reserved nature stands out [...]. Whyte sets his phaser on stun, not kill.
2004, Hertiage Signature Auction #811, page 185:
- Giolitti's Gold Key art is widely admired, [...] and this is a terrific opportunity to pick up a page—set your phasers on bid.
(science fiction energy weapon):
- beam cannon / beam weapon
- blaster / blaster cannon / blaster gun / blaster pistol / blaster rifle
- death ray / death ray projector
- laser / laser cannon / laser gun / laser pistol / laser rifle / laser weapon
- particle cannon / particle gun / particle rifle / particle weapon
- ray gun
an electronic device that produces special effects on the sound
- ^ Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 145