Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
pinwheel (plural pinwheels)
- an artificial flower with the stem, usually in plastic, for children; the flower spins round in the wind.
- a firework which forms a kind of spinning wheel
- A cogged (toothed) gear.
fake flower for children
- 1992, Joyce Carol Oates, Black Water, Penguin Books, paperback edition, page 125
- The sun blazing late in the afternoon, this long hilarious day like a pinwheel inexhaustibly throwing off sparks.
- To spin.
- The damaged fighter jet pinwheeled out of control, the g forces pushing the pilot so hard he couldn't reach the ejection switch.
2012 August 27, John Branch, “Snow Fall : The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek”, New York Time:
- The laws of physics and chemistry transform a meadow of fine powder into a wreckage of icy chunks. Saugstad’s pinwheeling body would freeze into whatever position it was in the moment the snow stopped.