predecessor (plural predecessors)
- One who precedes; one who has preceded another in any state, position, office, etc.; one whom another follows or comes after, in any office or position.
- A model or type of machinery or device which precedes the current one. Usually used to describe an earlier, outdated model.
- The steam engine was the predecessor of diesel and electric locomotives.
- (mathematics) A vertex having a directed path to another vertex
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- ^ Funk, W. J., Word origins and their romantic stories, New York, Wilfred Funk, Inc.