Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- præscribe (archaic)
Usage notes 
- The pronunciation with the stressed first syllable is normally used only when added distinction from proscribe is required.
- To order (a drug or medical device) for use by a particular patient.
- The doctor prescribed aspirin.
- To specify as a required procedure or ritual; to lay down authoritatively as a guide, direction, or rule of action.
- Prescribe not us our duties.
- Let streams prescribe their fountains where to run.
Related terms 
to order a drug or medical device
to specify as a required procedure or ritual
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also 
prescribe (infinitive prescribir)