- (RP) IPA(key): /kwɪkˈsɒtɪk/
- (US) IPA(key): /kwɪkˈsɑtɪk/, /kwɪɡˈzɑtɪk/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒtɪk
- Possessing or acting with the desire to do noble and romantic deeds, without thought of realism and practicality.
- Like Don Quixote; romantic to extravagance; absurdly chivalric; apt to be deluded.
Although the term is derived from the name of the character Don Quixote, the letters qu and x are both read as is usual for English spelling (/kw/ and /ks/). In "Don Quixote", by contrast, the pronunciation more closely resembles the modern Spanish (/k/ and /h~x/).
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.