Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
remains (plural only)
- What is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse.
- They buried the remains of their longtime friend in the town cemetery.
- The victim's remains were one small piece of bone.
- Historical or archaeological relics.
- The extant writings of a deceased person.
- To his great intellectual powers his published remains bear abundant witness.
- All that is left of the stock of some things; remnants.
- He couldn't bring himself to eat the remains of the chicken dinner.
- (rare) Plural form of remain
what is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse
relic of an ancient building or other structure
all that is left of the stock of some things; remnants
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of remain.
- We'll go ahead, while she remains here.