Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From French ricochet.
ricochet (plural ricochets)
- (military) A method of firing a projectile so that it skips along a surface.
- An instance of ricocheting; a glancing rebound.
an instance of ricocheting
- To rebound off something wildly in a seemingly random direction.
- (military) To operate upon by ricochet firing.
- The word first appears in the phrases chanson du/de riochet, fable du ricochet. This is apparently related to other story-titles such as the fable du rouge kokelet; other dialectal terms such as ripoton (“duckling”) and Norman recoquet (“chick”) has led to theories that the word originally indicated a "young cock". The sense-development is unclear.
- IPA: /ʁikɔʃɛ/
ricochet m (plural ricochets)