Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (informal) Excellent, first-class.
- "Isn't she a slap-up woman, eh, now?" pursued he; and began enumerating her attractions, as a horse-jockey would the points of a favourite animal.
- 1915, W.S. Maugham, "Of Human Bondage":
- "You take me somewhere where we can get a regular slap-up lunch. All this is the very worst thing for my nerves." -- "Lavenue's is about the best place round here," answered Philip.
- Charles Dickens, Martin Chuzzlewit
- 'D'ye know a slap-up sort of button, when you see it?' said the youth. 'Don't look at mine, if you ain't a judge, because these lions' heads was made for men of men of taste: not snobs.'
- 2003, Anthony Ham, Paul Greenway, Damien Simonis, Jordan
- If you add the cost of occasional chartered taxis, souvenirs, a splurge every now and then on a slap-up meal or a mid-range hotel […]