Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Wiktionary:Semantic_relations#Synonymy
synonymy (plural synonymies)
- (semantics) The quality of being synonymous; sameness of meaning.
- A list or collection of synonyms, often compared and contrasted.
- The study of synonyms.
- A system of synonyms.
- (botany) The collective synonyms (all the names referring to a particular taxon, except the correct name)
- (botany) The state of not being a correct name, of being a synonym
- In 1924 this name was reduced to synonymy.
- (zoology) The collective synonyms (all the names referring to the same taxon, including the correct name)
quality of being synonymous
list or collection of synonyms
system of synonyms
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked