Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
tanru (plural tanru)
- (Lojban grammar) A compound brivla; that is, a sequence of two or more brivla with possible intervention/incrustation of cmavo to modify the way in which the brivla associate. (Left on their own, the brivla behave in a left-associative manner, where each brivla is modified by the brivla or sub-tanru to its left, before going on to modify the brivla to its right.) The component brivla maintain their separateness (i.e., they are separated by spaces), making tanru different from lujvo.
In Lojbanized spelling.
- Chinese: iiniu — 隱喻/隐喻 (yǐn yù)
- English: metafor — metaphor
- Hindi: rupak — रूपक (rūpaka)
- Spanish: metafor — metáfora
- Russian: mitafar — метафора (metafora) (metafora)
- Arabic: istiar
tanru (rafsi tau)
- (grammar, selbri) x1 is a binary metaphor (possibly containing cmavo (particles)) formed with x2 modifying x3, giving meaning x4 in language x5
- (grammar, sumti) phrase compound