Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To discard (trash, garbage, or the like), to toss out, to put in the trash, to dispose of.
- He wanted to throw away the cup, but he couldn't find a trash can.
- Don't throw the newspaper away, it goes in the recycle bin!
- (transitive, figuratively) To waste, to squander.
- Voting for a third-party candidate sometimes feels like throwing your vote away.
- The team threw away its chance at the semifinals.
- 1975, Freddie Mercury, “Bohemian Rhapsody” (song), in Queen (band), A Night at the Opera (album):
- Mama, life has just begun. / But now I've gone and thrown it all away.
2011 September 28, Jon Smith, “Valencia 1 - 1 Chelsea”, BBC Sport:
- Chelsea threw away two points when substitute Salomon Kalou gifted Valencia a penalty five minutes from time with a needless handball.
- (American football, slang) To intentionally throw an incomplete pass.
discard or dispose of