Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ʌmp
thump (plural thumps)
- a blow that produces a muffled sound
- The watchman gave so great a thump at my door, that I awaked at the knock.
- the sound of such a blow; a thud
a blow that produces a muffled sound
the sound of such a blow; a thud
- (transitive) to hit (someone or something) as if to make a thump
- These bastard Bretons, whom our fathers / Have in their own land beaten, bobb'd, and thump'd.
- 2011 January 19, Jonathan Stevenson, “Leeds 1 - 3 Arsenal”, BBC:
- Kasper Schmeichel brilliantly denied Marouane Chamakh before Bacary Sagna thumped home a second, though Bradley Johnson's screamer halved the deficit.
- (intransitive) to thud or pound
- (intransitive) to throb with a muffled rhythmic sound
- Dance music thumped from the nightclub entrance.
to hit someone so as to make such a sound
to thud or pound