Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ʌnˈnɛs.əˌsəɹ.ɪ /, /ʌnˈnɛs.əˌsɛɹ.ɪ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ʌnˈnɛs.əˌsɛɹ.i/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -æri
- (UK, US, nonstandard) IPA(key): /ʌnˈnɛs.ə.ɹɪ/
- Not needed or necessary.
- The automatic child-frightener made clowns unnecessary.
- 2011 December 14, Steven Morris, “Devon woman jailed for 168 days for killing kitten in microwave”, Guardian:
- Robins, of Torquay, had denied a single charge of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. She claimed the microwave was accidentally turned on by one of the cats after the kitten got inside. But Knutton said the kitten was too small to even get onto the work surface.
- Done in addition to requirements; unrequired.
- (not needed): superfluous, unneeded, needless, innecessary
- (in addition to requirements): additional, innecessary