Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: vouʹəl, IPA(key): /ˈvaʊəl/
- (US) also enPR: voul, IPA(key): /vaʊl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aʊəl, -aʊl
vowel (plural vowels)
- (phonetics) A sound produced by the vocal cords with relatively little restriction of the oral cavity, forming the prominent sound of a syllable.
- A letter representing the sound of vowel; in English, the vowels are a, e, i, o and u, and sometimes y.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked