From the root א־ח־ז ('-ḥ-z). The form of the word is that of an adjective formed from the pa'al verb אָחַז and meaning "taken" or "held". The adjective is attested as far back as the book of Numbers. The noun presumably derives from it.
- held, grasped
- אָחוּז בְּיָדוֹ
- held in his hand
- held in place, fastened, fixed
- taken proportionally
- A hundredth, a percent: used to express percentages.
- 14.5%: ארבעה-עשר אחוזים וחצי ― arba'á-asár akhuzím v'khétzi ― fourteen and a half percent
- 20%: עשרים אחוז ― esrím akhúz ― twenty percent
- A percent, a percentage.
- איזה אחוז … ? ― éize akhúz … ? ― What percent(age) … ?
- אחוז גבוה ― akhúz gavóah ― a high percentage
- As shown in the examples above, the singular form אָחוּז is often used even for the semantic plural.