Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: splain
- (slang) A suffix combined with a descriptive adjective or noun to create a verb meaning someone who fits that description condescendingly explaining something to someone who does not fit that description (especially, something the listener has more experience of).
- 2012 December 22, Bunnika, “For reblogging: No crip has to be nice to ableists”, in Cumulative notes for the Zōon Politikon, retrieved 2014-04-27:
- So please, don’t ablesplain to me. Especially when you have no idea about the context of what bigotry you’re trying to justify.
- 2013 January 15, Dan O'Connor, “Dan Callahan Thinsplains Obesity”, in Berman Institute Bioethics Bulletin, retrieved 2013-04-28:
- You see, thinsplains Callahan, because nothing else seems to be working, we must turn to making obese people feel bad about themselves in order to shed the pounds.
- 2014 March 14, Katy Waldman, “Princeton Mom's One Saving Grace”, in The XX Factor:
- The PM urges 29-year-old Princeton alum O’Connor to decide immediately whether she wants a husband and children, and it sounds a lot like momsplaining to O’Connor that she definitely wants a husband and children.