See also: adversary
- (religion, Christianity) The Devil; Satan.
- 1998, Daniel Isaac Block, The Book of Ezekiel: Chapters 25-48:
- Yahweh′s turning Gog around, putting hooks in his jaws, and bringing him out from the remotest parts of the north (Ezek. 38:4-6) is now interpreted as the release of the Adversary from prison.
- See Satan.
- ^ 1759, Oxford standard text, Bible (King James), Job, 31, xxxv — Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book.
- ^ 1759, Oxford standard text, Bible (King James), 1 Peter, 5, viii — Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: