Appendix:American Dialect Society
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is a learned society "dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other languages, influencing it or influenced by it." The Society publishes the academic journal, American Speech.
- Appendix:American Dialect Society most outrageous words of the year
- Appendix:American Dialect Society words of the year
- 2007, Lerer, Seth, Inventing English: A Portable History of the Language, Columbia University Press, page 195:
- 2002, Metcalf, Allan A., Predicting New Words: The Secrets of Their Success, Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin Company, page 188:
- 2006, Wolfram, Walt; Natalie Schilling-Estes, American English: Dialects and Variation, Malden, Massachusetts: Blackwell Publishing, page 24: