Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: balkanization
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌbɔːl.kən.aɪˈzeɪ.ʃən/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌbɑl.kən.aɪˈzeɪ.ʃən/
- (historical, chiefly political science) The fragmentation of a geopolitical region into several small states that are often hostile or non-cooperative with each other.
- (by extension, informal) Any disintegration or fragmentation process.
- Synonym: fragmentation
- demographic balkanization
- 2006, Anil K. Jain; Ruud Bolle; Sharath Pankanti, Biometrics: Personal Identification in Networked Society, Springer Science & Business Media, →ISBN, page 401:
- In other words, will the biometric future feature biometric centralization whereby one biometric would dominate multiple applications, or will we see biometric balkanization where multiple biometrics are used for multiple applications?
fragmentation of a region into several small states
any disintegration process