Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Ethernet (plural Ethernets)
- (always in the singular) A set of network cabling and network access (CSMA/CD) protocol standards for bus topology computer networks invented by Xerox but now controlled by the 802.3 subcommittee of the IEEE.
- (countable) A computer network which complies with such set of standards.
- In both senses, this word is often used attributively, as a noun adjunct, in a manner resembling an adjective:
- These products comply with Ethernet standards.
- I'd like to buy some Ethernet cable.
network cabling protocol standards
computer network which complies with standards