Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Florida flambé
- (pejorative) Burning (catching fire) during execution by electric chair. [from the late 1990s]
1997 June 6, Jarnagin, Elizabeth, “Pro-life consistency means opposing death penalty”, Amarillo Globe-News:
- There's a nice new death chamber in Terre Haute, Ind., just waiting for ya. No Florida flambe there. A slight boo-boo occurred not long ago when Florida fired up "Old Sparky" to execute a criminal. The guy's face mask flared up. Most grisly. A Florida district attorney glibly said the moral of the mishap was not to commit crime in Florida if you don't want the same treatment.
2005 August 19, Cha, “Ms. Harris's "felon purge"”, democraticunderground.com:
- This is why harris should go down in Florida Flambe.
- Most Outrageous Word of the Year, American Dialect Society
- Florida Flambé, at Medical dictionary, medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com
- –1998, Wayne Glowka, Brenda K. Lester, “Among the New Words”, American Speech, volume 73, number 2, pages 197-214:
- 1999, Howard Richler, A Bawdy Language: How a Second-Rate Language Slept Its Way to the Top, Stoddart, page 11:
- 2002, Allan A. Metcalf, Predicting New Words: The Secrets of Their Success, Houghton Mifflin Books, page 191:
- 2010, Saul Steinmetz, There's a Word for It: The Explosion of the American Language Since 1900, Harmony Books, page 203: