Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An English placename.
- A habitational surname. (More often spelled Haley).
- A male given name transferred from the surname; rare compared to the female name.
- A female given name transferred from the surname. Popular in the UK in the 1970s and the 1980s.
- The female name is usually spelled Haley or Hailey in the U.S., and it became popular later than in the UK.
- 2000 Maureen Lipman, Lip Reading, Franz Steiner Verlag, ISBN 1861053592, page 12
- Just think of the explanation required one day for all those Kylies and Stings and Hayleys, for heaven's sake! ' Well, it doesn't mean anything, darling - it's from Hayley Mills. Well, she's an actress and her mother named her after her own maiden name. No, she was a writer, actually...Oh, shut up and be thankful I didn't call you Sigourney like your father wanted...'
- 2007 Crissy Pagdett, Kelly's Destiny: Closest Betrayal, AuthorHouse, ISBN 1434342549, page 98
- I closed my eyes and listened to him saying the names.
- "That is the one...Hayley Dawn Calvin. That is gorgeous and it fits perfect."
- "I like it too, it sounds good."
- Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges : A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press 1988.
-  Social Security Administration: given name statistics in the USA
-  FreeBMD : given name statistics in England and Wales