Jump to navigation Jump to search
Introduced by Dr. John Arbuthnot.
- A personification of England
- (by extension) Something that is stereotypically English.
- 2005, David W. Moore, The Other British Isles, →ISBN, page 183:
- Thatched cottages, manors, old mills, venerable churches and wooded lanes personify a John Bull fancy, neatly tucked into gentle hill folds.
- 2015, Fiona Farrell, The Villa at the Edge of the Empire, →ISBN, page 52:
- Next door to all that noble intention stood a bluff old John Bull of a hotel, Warners, now a pub and backpackers, and next to that, until 1993, a cinema, the last of several that had sprung up around the Square as temples of modernity.
personification of the UK government