See also: K-9
From the pronunciation of the letter and number forming the two syllables of canine.
K9 (plural K9s)
- A trained police dog.
- 2003, Nicholas H. Dodman, If Only They Could Speak: Stories About Pets and Their People, page 248:
- Police working dogs (K9s) often have extremely close bonds with their handlers.
- 2003, Trevor J. Orsinger, The Firefighter's Best Friend: Lives and Legends of Chicago Firehouse Dogs, page 90:
- Originally a K9 dog for the police department, Captain was asked to resign for unknown reasons.
- 2005, Priya Kapoor, Nandita Jaishankar, VIPs: Very Important Pets, page 71
- Apollo, part of the New York Police Department K9 Search and Rescue team was on the scene of the disaster just 15 minutes after the disaster
- 2006, Asa Nonami, Juliet Winters Carpenter, The Hunter: A Detective Takako Otomichi Mystery, page 134
- The Saitama Prefectural Police Department, for example, had no K9 units of its own, and relied on contract dogs exclusively.