Jump to navigation Jump to search
- As an English surname, spelling variant of Lee.
- As a Scottish surname, reduced from McClay.
- As a French surname, from several place names in France. The river is from Medieval Latin Ledius.
- As a German surname, from various placenames in Bavaria and Rhineland.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Lay is the 1,957th most common surname in the United States, belonging to 18,468 individuals. Lay is most common among White (70.98%) and Asian/Pacific Islander (14.41%) individuals.
- Hanks, Patrick, editor (2003), “Lay”, in Dictionary of American Family Names, volume 2, New York City: Oxford University Press, →ISBN, page 407.
- Alternative spelling of .