- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmɛl.əˈniː.zi.ə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌmɛl.əˈni.ʒə/
- (General American) Rhymes: -iːʒə
- Hyphenation: Mel‧a‧ne‧sia
- Part of Oceania, made up of New Guinea, the Bismarck Archipelago, the Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.
2004, Mary N. MacDonald, “Thinking and teaching with the indigenous traditions of Melanesia”, in Beyond primitivism: indigenous religious traditions and modernity, Routledge, ↑ISBN, page 315:
- My job, then, is that of a cultural and religious broker of sorts, co-opting Melanesia to serve as a stimulus to thought in Le Moyne classrooms.
part of Oceania
First declension, with locative.