Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪŋ
Pippi Longstocking (plural not attested)
- A person, especially a girl or woman, with long or flamboyant red hair, especially in pigtails or parted down the middle, and prominent freckles.
- As soon as I entered the room, I knew that my pigtails were a mistake, and I winced at the calls of “Pippi Longstocking”!
- 2007, Karen Robards, Ghost Moon, Random House:
- Little and skinny for ten years old, cursed with waist-length hair and freckles that all the kids teased made her look just like Pippi Longstocking, she had been, that day, the butt of jokes from the entire fifth grade.
- 2009, Rachel Shteir, Gypsy: the Art of the Tease, Yale University Press, page 140:
- She has threaded rags through her hair, tying it in two Pippi Longstocking braids.
- 2010, Laura DuPriest, Natural Beauty: Pamper Yourself with Salon Secrets at Home, Random House, page 15:
- If I turned around, you could see a bizarre array of silver clippies, and a “Pippi Longstocking” part down the middle.
- 2011, Julia Watts, Finding H. F., Bella Books:
- Put her in pigtails and stick her finger in a light socket, and she’d be Pippi Longstocking.
- 2012, Kate Bornstein, A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The true story of a nice Jewish boy who joins the Church of Scientology, and leaves twelve years later to become the lovely lady she is today, Beacon Press:
- ... I was positively Pippi Longstocking, minus the pigtails.
- A person, especially a girl or woman, given to headstrong, wild behaviour, flights of fancy, or irrepressible optimism.
- She strode to the head of the class, like a Pippi Longstocking in brunette, and demanded equal treatment for the other children.
- 2002 October 23, Ella Taylor; Frida (reviewer), “Sex-mad and Self-obsessed”, in LA Weekly:
- Then we’re swept back to her school days, where we see her giggling like a regular Pippi Longstocking as she spies on Rivera (Alfred Molina) applying his creative juices to an artist’s model while being berated by his wife (Valeria Golino).
- 2014, P. V. Lundqvist, The Counterfeit Father: A Tony Pandy Mystery, Stick Raven Press:
- You’re a regular Pippi Longstocking, you know that?
- 2015, Patrice Vecchione, Step Into Nature: Nurturing Imagination and Spirit in Everyday Life, Simon & Schuster, page 10:
- Have I discovered my inner Pippi Longstocking?
- Synonym: Pollyanna
a girl with flamboyant red hair in pigtails and freckles
an optimistic, fanciful, etc. girl — see Pollyanna